Information is accurate up to 27th March 2020
As your local GP practices, we are facing our most significant challenge in the history of the NHS. The two Ely Primary Care Networks are working together to provide you with the best care, across the following GP surgeries: Burwell, Haddenham, and Staploe (Ely South PCN); and Cathedral, St George’s, and St Mary’s (Ely North PCN).
Please be reassured that all the changes we have made to how we deliver your care are to keep you and our staff as safe and well as possible, in line with government advice. We are working closely with community organisations to keep our community well. Where there are longer delays than you might like, please be patient with us.
Key changes are explained below. They may vary between practices but it gives you a good idea of what to expect, recognising that this may change again as the epidemic progresses.
1. More phone and video consultations. We have reduced face to face consultations in surgeries and at home, including residential and nursing homes, and are introducing video consultations. Your primary way of reaching your GP is now via:
- a. AskMyGP for Staploe, Haddenham, Cathedral, or St. George’s; or
- b. By phone at Burwell (01638 741234) and St Mary’s (01353 663434).
2. Reduced services. If we have cancelled an appointment with you, it’s because we are re-focusing our teams to help those who may have contracted Covid-19, and/or to minimise the risk of spread of Covid-19.
3. Prescription changes. The demand for repeat prescriptions has increased by about 50% since the government announced the strict self-isolation guidance. This is putting immense pressure on our dispensaries and pharmacies. Please don’t order your repeats early or stock-pile medication. Request them no more than 10 days before you are due to run out. We can only issue 1 month’s worth of medication.
4. Government guidelines. The best ways to protect yourself and your family are to follow the government guidelines on social distancing applicable to everyone in the UK, self-isolation if someone in your household develops symptoms, and good personal hygiene. 5.
Do you need help? Local volunteer groups are forming to help you. If you want to volunteer, register here or with one of the groups below. Volunteers will be trained on how to help safely. Local contacts are below and updated regularly.
- Burwell: 07554 076872
- Fordham Timebank: 07395 941522 or 07715 908024
- Haddenham: email@example.com
- Isleham: 07831 168899
- Soham Town Council: 01353 723472
- Soham Handy Helpers Facebook; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Soham – AAA motorcycles (police checked): 07384 746025
- Stretham: 07507 597368 or email@example.com
- Wicken: WickenCoronaVirusHelp@outlook.com 07961 737020
- Wilburton Isolation Support Group Facebook; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Littleport: Covid19helplittleport@hotmail.com or 07905 026323
- Cambridgeshire Mutual Aid
- Ely Mutual Aid
- Little Downham & Pymoor: Contact Anna Bailey
Press release from Staploe Medical Centre, Soham