Ely Tigers v Beccles Match Report

Ely Tigers showed their intent in the opening five minutes of their opening game of the new season, but it came at a price, new signing, Aaron Borland, picked up a Beccles kick in his own half and surged forward along the wing, which resulted in a try, however this was to be the players last action of the afternoon as he left the pitch injured.

New captain Matt McCarthy failed to add the extra points, after the early set back the visitors came more into the game, but they still couldn’t find a way past the home sides defence, from deep in the Tigers half, they produced another try, from a line out, Alex Milne fed James Buckland, who went on to cross the try line under the posts, with McCarthy adding the extra points, again, back came Beccles but once more the home side were able to clear their lines, as half time approached Ely won another line out, the ball was worked across the pitch, were finally it was in the hands of Nathan Brookes where he went onto score under the posts, McCarthy once again added the points for the side to lead 19-0 at the break.

The opening ten minutes of the second half saw the visitors have their better spell in the game, but during this spell they still couldn’t break the defence down, and against the run of play, the home side added a further try, again winning a line out, the ball breaking to Jacob Muncey whose powerful break brought Ely into the Beccles half, the ball was feed out to the win and to McCarthy, with Scott Macfarlane in support the pass was timed just right as Macfarlane juggled the ball over the line before touching down to add a further try, with McCarthy able to add the extra points, moments later the Tigers crossed the time again.

A high kick from Buckland saw the Beccles defence under pressure from McCarthy and Brooks, the ball fell kindly to Brookes and he was able to power across the line under the posts, on 72 minutes Beccles troubled the score board with a try in the corner, they managed to add the conversion, the home side seemed to switch off, and handling errors came into play, and it was from a handling error that Beccles scored the last try of the afternoon, when the ball was fumbled in the try zone and was collected by Beccles, the conversion was missed as the game finished in a 33 – 12 win for the home side.   

Report and Photos Steve Wells

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on reddit
Share on email