Mercury Spillage Closes Market Street but No Concerns to Public Safety

The Cambridgeshire Fire Service from Ely Station were called to Page Jewellers on Market Street at around 4.45pm today after a Mercury Spillage within the store.
2 firefighters with breathing apparatus entered the evacuated store and made safe the dangerous element and it is now bagged. At no time did anyone make contact and did it make contact with any local water supply.
Market Street for a short while was closed but thanks to the quick attention of the fire service it was reopened just 30 minutes later.
The fire service will remain in attendance for a short period of time but the disposal of the Mercury will now be the responsibility of the owners. It must be removed by specialist contractors.
It is not believed that business will be disrupted and all other businesses remain open as normal.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on reddit
Share on email