A three year redevelopment of the Princess of Wales hospital site is planned which will see NHS and social care partners deliver more services for local residents from modern, fit for purpose buildings.
Matthew Winn, Chief Executive of Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust, which owns the hospital site, explained:
“NHS and social care partners who currently provide services on site are working together to ensure we are able to meet the needs of a growing and ageing population. A planning application will be submitted in the New Year which will set out ambitious plans to modernise services and create facilities that will vastly improve the patient experience and the working environment for staff.
“Our shared proposals are in line with all the local NHS and Councils plans” added Mr Winn “and there has been a broad consensus of support for redevelopment of the hospital for several years from local commissioners and providers of services on site and other key stakeholders.”
Our collective aim is to:
- build brand new, modern premises to replace out-dated facilities (retaining the day surgery unit)
- deliver more day surgery, outpatient, diagnostic and urgent (but not emergency) care services, closer to people’s homes. All current services will remain on the hospital site
- provide more joined-up care across health and social care services, including for frail elderly people and those living with long term conditions
- create more physical space to meet the needs of a growing population, reducing the need for people to travel to Cambridge for some services
- build a new car park(no more than 4 levels) to address the lack of parking on site
- harness digital technology to deliver modern healthcare including virtual consultations
Partners are also exploring opportunities to use the site for other community priorities e.g. a care home to meet the needs of local residents.
Commenting on the plans, Lucy Frazer MP for South East Cambridgeshire said:
“Ensuring that first-class health services are available within close proximity is a critical local need. To ensure this, it is vital that we expand access to services to those in and around Ely, improving access to integrated services, including outpatient, diagnostic, and urgent care. I am extremely pleased that the Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust and partners will soon be bringing forward their proposals for major upgrades at the Princess of Wales Hospital. I look forward to continuing to engage with local organisations as they develop their plans, and will make every effort to secure the necessary funding at a national level.”
Covid-19 restrictions preclude local residents being invited to view initial plans face to face. However, people are encouraged to visit Cambridgeshire Community Services (CCS) NHS Trust’s website between 1th -14th December to view a virtual exhibition and share their feedback prior to submission of the planning application.
Visit the CCS NHS Trust website here: https://bit.ly/2TPtent
Press release from Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust