So, after months of hard work, we are actually approaching the opening day for The Cherry Tree in Haddenham.
This family run Cafe / Bar is aiming to become a community hub, and a much needed local amenity.
We have decided against a big opening event as there’s just too much to do to get the place ready in time. We open for business on Saturday the 5th of October! As the intention is to meet the varying needs of the community, we will be changing and evolving as time goes on, trialling different suggestions and ideas offered by people living locally.
Rebuilding, rewiring, reroofing, replastering, refurbishing, repainting and redecorating are now finally entering the final phases. New doors, new windows, new garden design and innovative ideas have been put into place.
We are blessed to have a son in law like our Teddy and his side kick Dan, (E Hancock home improvements) who could probably promote themselves to builder and master of all trades! Their carpentry skills, hard work and creative minds have been invaluable. Without Teddy, this project would most definitely have collapsed (literally!)
So, while still finalising the timetable of events and activities, here are some of the things we will have on offer:
- Story time under the Cherry Tree
- Craft sessions for the under 5s
- Bicycle repair sessions
- Midwife mornings (where women can come for feeding support, baby weighing, antenatal advice, reassurance checks in pregnancy and many other services as needed)
- Pizza and Prosecco/pint evenings (Fridays only to start with)
- Quiz nights will take place once a month, where teams can compete for some fun and some cash prizes.
- Outdoor cinema events have been suggested by a couple of local folk, which we think is a great idea. Obviously we’ll wait for warmer weather to return first!
The space we are creating is for people to use, relax and enjoy! Breakfasts, light lunches and afternoon teas are on offer or just a place to pop in for a Hot Numbers coffee and a piece of yummy home made cake!
Evening food will take the form of food vans, pizza nights and the dish of the day to accompany a different evening events. There will be a selection of bottled beers and ciders. A wine list, has been carefully compiled. This seems to have needed a great deal of tasting and “market research“! A great selection of gins will also be available to try. There will be a collection of other spirits and our manager, Chris, is hoping to make a name for himself through the cocktail evenings that he’ll be running (not sure whether, he’ll rival Tom Cruise, but a blokes got to try!)
We have been overwhelmed by the support and kindness shown to us by local people. We will do our upmost to make the Cherry Tree a thriving village institution once again.
The Cherry tree that was taken down by Punch Taverns has now been replaced by a beautiful mature Cherry Tree; a gift from Barchams. This new tree looks fabulous in its place of honour and will provide lovely shady areas in years to come.
Quite a few events have been booked already! With 2 ‘gender reveal’ parties (this is where the gender of a baby is revealed to friends and family after the 20 week scan, in case anyone was wondering), one baby shower, one hen do, one 60th birthday party, one wedding and two work parties, Christmas afternoon teas, all booked before we’ve even opened. We hope to be kept very busy!
We really are looking forward to welcoming everyone to the lighter, brighter, safer Cherry Tree. See you soon!
We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has worked so hard, helping us with this massive project:
Our hardworking and supportive family:
- Edward Hancock and Dan Kynoch – home improvements and other assorted miracles
- Carl Braybrooke – our new roof(s)
- Andrew Lindsay and team – garden landscaping
- Jim Easy and Sam Peacock – electrics (who knew there was more than one type of electricity!)
- Adam Lee and team – plastering
- Champion Plumbing – Matt, Biff, James and Harry
- Warren and everyone at Barcham Trees and Robin Gildersleeve
- AlarmSmiths – Jason and the Matts
- Chloe Rosamond – interior design
- Aaron Dawkins – decorating
- Martin Benton – floor finish
- Zoe Ashmeade – networking genius and adviser on all things gin related!
- Louisa Noble – discount Queen and all round ‘fixer’
- Andy Dunne – cheffing advice and menu coordinator
- The clean up crew – Chris, Mitchell, Nico and Alberto.
- Chris Stanley – Cherry Tree logo
- Church end carpets and flooring
- Mairi Salters and Alex Elbro for getting us a slot on Cambridge 105.
Wherever possible we have & will use local firms, traders, suppliers, produce and support local businesses.
Press release from The Cherry Tree, Haddenham