Discarded cigarette sets fire to Isleham home

A discarded cigarette is thought to be responsible for causing a fire at an Isleham home yesterday afternoon.

The shed was completely destroyed and the kitchen badly damaged as a result of the fire.

Only the intervention of fire crews prevented the blaze from obliterating the rest of the house, firefighters say, warning smokers to dispose of cigarettes carefully.
Two engines from Newmarket and Mildenhall were called to the property at Aves Close at 1.43pm yesterday (February 24).

Wearing breathing apparatus they used a hose reel and jet to extinguish the fire, returning to their stations by 3.39pm.
Station Commander Paul Clarke said: “The fire caused significant damage to the garage and kitchen of the property but the rapid intervention of the crews prevented it from spreading to the upstairs of the property and elsewhere on the ground floor.”
He added: “When smoking, please ensure you stub the cigarette out properly before discarding it as cigarettes can easily start an accidental fire.”

For more advice on smoking materials and home safety, click here.
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on reddit
Share on email